Our italki Teaching Tips are real teaching tips from real italki teachers who have first hand experience teaching different students from all over the world. We share these tips to help you become a better teacher.
10 Teaching aids/resources/websites I can use while doing a Skype lesson
- Youtube : Find short youtube videos and have your student listen to it and then use it as a discussion tool.
- Google : If a word comes up and you are not sure of how to describe it, google it and all of the dictionary entries will pop up and recently google will even show a definition of the word right on the page. Then you can copy and paste the definition on to the skype chat.
- Google images : You can type in ANYTHING and thousands of images will come up. This a great tool for showing students pictures and having them describe what they see and also just to use a picture to describe a word.
- **If a student has a question about something grammar related or anything else that you can’t answer off the top of your head, google it! example: Student says “I really have a problem with modal verbs.” google ‘modal verb practice’ and send them some links.
- English Club http://www.englishclub.com/grammar/ : I think they describe grammar in an easy way.
- Exam English http://www.examenglish.com/ : IELTS / TOEFL / TOEIC all sorts of exam preparation activities.
- Edmodo: Teachers and students can take advantage of this great tech tool, as it offers a Facebook-like environment where classes can connect online.
- Instructor Web: worksheets, lessons, and lesson plans for math, science and basic skills
- Khan Academy: library of online videos covering K-12 math, science topics, finance and history
- Ted Talks: educational lectures about a variety of current events and interesting topics
- Pinterest: You can pin just about any image you find interesting on this site, but many teachers are using it as a place to collect great lesson plans, projects, and inspirational materials.
- ESL Cyber Listening Lab: Listen to Everyday Conversations with Adult and Children’s Voices
- 365 ESL Short Stories: short readings that students can do for comprehension and pronunciation practice by sending a link or sharing your screen
Share your teaching tips!
At italki, we want to create a world in which everyone can be fluent in another language by connecting with people. The purpose of the italki community is to facilitate communication and share in the love of language learning between our all our members and teachers. If you are interested in “paying it forward” and sharing your teaching tips, please fill out the below form.
If we publish your teaching tip, we will credit you with the tip by providing a link to your teacher profile page so include your italki teacher ID.